Invest yourself for individuals with Down Syndrome
Summer Camp Leaders
DATE: June 26-Aug 18, 2023 (8 weeks)
The Down Syndrome Resource Foundation (DSRF) was formed in 1995 and has an established history with a strong reputation for excellence.
Our mission is to support people living with Down syndrome and their families with individualized and leading-edge educational programs, health services, information resources, and rich social connections so each person can flourish in their own right. Our vision is a Canada that values and empowers people with Down syndrome, fostering economic, social, and individual inclusion throughout their lives.
The DSRF team is a close-knit group of professionals who are proud of what they do and their organization.
Do you like dancing and singing karaoke?
Do you want to learn new skills and strategies to support individuals with Down syndrome and other intellectual disabilities?
Are you an excellent team player and problem solver?
Do you enjoy being creative and developing engaging activities and crafts?
Do you have any special talents you could teach?
Do you want to work in a multi disciplinary team learning along side teachers, Speech and Language Pathologists, Occupational Therapists and Behaviour Consultants?
Are you looking for a summer job packed with fun and variety every day?
The Down Syndrome Resource Foundation is looking for an enthusiastic, creative and collaborative member to join our summer program team. The ideal candidate is patient, creative, collaborative and is interested in working with individuals with intellectual disabilities. This position would provide a great experience for someone interested in careers in education, speech and language therapy, and occupational therapy. **There may be an opportunity for this position to extend to a permanent position as a classroom assistant in our adult education classes.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Welcoming, supporting and leading individuals (13-30 years of age) with Down syndrome in weeklong day camps that run daily from 9am-3pm
- Assisting in developing the daily schedule, activities, and materials for our summer programs through use of Board maker and other software.
- Providing direct support to students to encourage participation, communication, and social development.
- Supporting students to attend and stay engaged in activities
- Supporting individuals to make choices and express their needs
- Facilitate friendships and relationship building
- Problem solving and following positive behaviour support plans
- Assisting with supervision of program volunteers, prepare weekly family newsletters, and communicate with families in person in the morning and end of day.
- Having fun and participating in daily dance parties!
- Ability to work in a multi disciplinary team.
- Ability to adapt activities to make them inclusive.
- Creative problem solver
- Patient and empathetic
- Energetic and fun
- Clear communicator
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION + ACCOMMODATIONS
To be a diverse and inclusive workplace that is representative (at all levels) of the people we serve, DSRF welcomes and encourages applications from anyone who identifies as Indigenous, LGBTQ2S+, a member of a visible minority population, and persons with disabilities. If you are a member of any of these groups and wish to contribute to furthering DSRF’s mission, we encourage you to self-identify in your application, cover letter and/or resume. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees have opportunities to be successful.
$20 per hour, based on a 37.5 hour work week
This position is conditional on DSRF receiving a Canada Summer Jobs Grant for this role. An offer of employment may be extended prior to us receiving confirmation of this grant, in which case the offer will be conditional pending grant approval. Approval is expected by the end of April.
The successful candidate will be asked to complete a criminal record check.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.