DSRF Helps Children with Down Syndrome Flourish for Life
Giving Tuesday is the world’s largest generosity movement and the biggest annual day for charitable giving. On this day of kindness, the Down Syndrome Resource Foundation has launched its annual giving campaign, Flourish for Life.
When a child begins school, the possibilities seem boundless. This new chapter in life brings with it new learning opportunities, new friendships, and new chances for inclusion. It also brings new challenges.
For children with Down syndrome and their families, the transition to school entails extra complexities. As they embark on their educational journey, delays in the development of speech, communication, reading, and math skills may cause these students to quickly fall behind classmates, while unfamiliar people, activities, and environments can lead to social and behavioural difficulties.
Those first few years of education set the stage for much that is to come. During this critical time of social and intellectual development, it is imperative that students and families be given the support they need to experience wins and step into success, however they define it. That’s where the Down Syndrome Resource Foundation — and you — come in.
84% of DSRF families say DSRF has made them significantly more hopeful about their child’s future
At DSRF, Canada’s leading Down syndrome specialists provide professional expertise and evidence-based support with an engaging, individualized approach. Through our leading-edge programs, services, and resources, we help children with Down syndrome grow in confidence and build core skills essential for school and life, with a focus on:
- developing speech, language, and social communication skills (speech language therapy)
- mastering self-care and daily activities (occupational therapy)
- cultivating positive behaviours and addressing problem areas (positive behaviour support)
- developing early reading and math skills (one to one reading and math)
- assessing the school readiness of students in the areas of classroom basics, literacy basics, and life skills, and providing strategies for each of these spheres (Kinder Kick-off)
Your donation to DSRF’s Flourish for Life campaign directly supports these vital programs, equipping children for school success and giving parents confidence as they approach this new stage of life.