Reading and Communications Plus
Reading and Communications Plus is designed to build on prior reading skills, with an emphasis on comprehension. Students are guided to ask and respond to who, what, where, and why questions through various texts, movies, and conversations. They explore content through report writing and oral presentations on topics of choice within thematic units. Journals and other varied writing activities offer additional opportunities to practice writing skills, along with the process of formatting and editing in PowerPoint and Word documents.
Practical money handling skills and problem-solving also increases student’s math and reading comprehension.
Reading and Communication Plus draws on the expertise of DSRF’s speech and language therapists and occupational to support individual students succeed in the class.
The program is open to young adults 19-30. A minimum Grade One reading level is required, as well as functional expressive and receptive language skills. Students will be assessed upon entering the program, and progress reports will be completed at the end of the January term, with a final assessment completed at the end of the June term.
Families should inquire if a program offers financial assistance or if they qualify for funding (e.g. Variety, CKNW, At Home Program, CLBC) at the time of registration. Financial assistance allocation is at the sole discretion of the DSRF. Families not part of a funding program (such as the Autism Funding Unit or the At Home Program) are required to pay the full fee of the session. Sessions are billed once monthly. Depending on the funding model, you will receive an invoice for any monies owing and/ or organizations will be billed directly. You must pay in order to ensure continuity of services.
We understand that emergencies, especially those related to health, but also last-minute school routine changes that are beyond a family’s control, happen from time to time and may require last-minute cancellation or rescheduling of your DSRF appointment. When these occur, you will not be charged for your cancelled session.
To provide the highest quality service to as many families as possible, DSRF requires sufficient notice to manage non-emergency session cancellations. Without sufficient notice, we cannot provide the cancelled spot to another family or reassign the time to other service delivery purposes.
As a result, the following will be strictly enforced:
- Non-emergency cancellations require notice of one full week. (Note: Notice of more than one week is greatly appreciated if possible.)
- Non-emergencies include vacations, pre-planned medical appointments, family events, school events, parties, sports events, a general lack of childcare, or anything that is not reasonably considered an emergency.
- Non-emergency cancellations made with less than a one-week notice will be subject to a surcharge equivalent to the full cost of the scheduled session. (Note: This also applies to families who receive external funding such as the At Home Program, Autism Funding Unit, and Variety funding, whose regulations state that DSRF can only bill the funder for sessions delivered. Cancellation surcharges are the responsibility of the family.)
- If there are more than three non-emergency cancellations in a three-month period, you may lose your spot in the therapist’s or teacher’s schedule.
- A “No show” cancellation, other than one that qualifies as an Emergency Cancellation, will be subject to a surcharge equivalent to the full cost of the scheduled session. (Note: This also applies to families who receive external funding such as the At Home Program, Autism Funding Unit, and Variety funding, whose regulations state that DSRF can only bill the funder for sessions delivered. Cancellation surcharges are the responsibility of the family.)
If a session is cancelled by the DSRF due to therapist or teacher absence, weather, or other any reasons, families will not be billed for the session.
- If you are more than 15 minutes late for your appointment and we do not hear from you, it will be considered a “no show cancellation” and you will be charged the full cost of the scheduled session.
- If you are late, your session time will be shortened. Due to client scheduling reasons, therapists and teachers are not permitted to go beyond the regularly scheduled end time.
- Sessions shortened due to client lateness will be charged at the full cost of the scheduled session.
- Repeated (two or more) instances of lateness may result in removal from the therapist’s or teacher’s schedule.
Make-up sessions are not guaranteed when there is a violation of the cancellation policy. For example, if you are charged for a no-show, we may not be able to reschedule that visit. Talk to your teacher/therapist directly about the possibility of scheduling a make-up session. It is not guaranteed that a make-up session can be scheduled. It depends on the individual therapist’s or teacher’s schedule.
PARENT, GUARDIAN & CAREGIVER ATTENDANCE POLICY
If a parent, guardian, or caregiver leaves the centre or outdoor area while their child is in session with our team, they must have a cell phone with them that is charged and in working condition so they can be reached in case of an emergency. They must remain within 5 minutes (driving or walking) distance of the session location
Client Agreement: Group Programs
Families have the option to pay the full fee at time of registration or pay the first month fee and provide post-dated cheques or credit card information for a monthly payment schedule, as outlined on the payment information form. Program withdrawals for group yearly programs must be made by September 30th and are subject to one month’s fee and a $150 administration fee. After September 30th, program fees are non-refundable
Informal assessments are used to evaluate students’ progress. This information, along with regular communication with parents, is used to set individual and group program goals.
For more information on policies of specific programs or for any questions please contact Eleanor Stewart at 604-444-3773 x111 or email@example.com.